The Collection

Brazilian Scene


Tab Label (see title)
ArtistFrans Jansz Post (1612-1680)
TitleBrazilian Scene
Datec.1665
MediumOil on canvas
ProvenanceCollection of politician and Conservative peer Walter Scott, eighth Duke of Buccleuch, tenth Duke of Queensberry (1894-1973) at Boughton House, Northamptonshire; from whom purchased by the Ministry of Works in 1945
Exhibition'Frans Post', Museum of Fine Arts, Rio, 1962
Dimensionsheight: 48.70 cm, width: 64.70 cm
Inscriptionbcl (very indistinct on mound): 166? / F. POST
AcquisitionPurchased fom the Duke of Buccleuch, December 1944
LocationNetherlands, The Hague, British Embassy
GAC number0/62
 

Other works by this artist

View All

Brazilian Scene: A Sugar MillBrazilian Scene: A Sugar Mill

Oil on panel

c.1665

GAC 0/61

Tab Label (see title)

This and another work by Post acquired at the same time (GAC 0/61) were mentioned in ‘A Postscript’, published in ‘The Burlington Magazine’ in 1943 by J. de Sousa-Leao. (His main article, ‘Post in Brazil’, had been reproduced in the magazine the previous year.) Sousa-Leao described the works as:

‘…representing typical landscapes as Post painted time and again until the end of his days, descriptive of life in the sugar plantations.’

The works were purchased for the Government Art Collection from the Duke of Buccleuch and Sousa-Leao speculates on their earlier provenance:

‘These presumably came to the Buccleuch collection through the Duke of Montagu, who was Ambassador to the French Court at the end of the seventeenth century. It would not be surprising, therefore, if the two pictures had come from the Louis XIV collection. Only eight of the series are to-day catalogued in the Louvre. Already in Louis XIV’s reign not more than twenty-nine were hung at Chaville, according to a quotation by M. Benisovich…, twenty-three of which are of similar sizes to the Duke of Buccleuch’s paintings. On the other hand, Post may have been in England, after his return from Brazil. There was a view of Windsor Castle painted by him at the Palace of Honsholredik, according to a catalogue of 1764 in the Dutch Royal Archives.’

Tab Label (see title)

This work contains the following subjects; choose a subject below to cross-refer to other works in the collection:

Similar works by subject:

landscape C17th

View all

Brazilian Scene: A Sugar MillBrazilian Scene: A Sugar Mill

Oil on panel

c.1665

GAC 0/61

Landscape with Classical Ruins and FiguresLandscape with Classical Ruins and Figures

Oil on canvas

GAC 0/701

Peasants in a WoodPeasants in a Wood

Oil on canvas

GAC 0/703

Donkey, Dog, Cow, Goat, SheepDonkey, Dog, Cow, Goat, Sheep

Oil on canvas

GAC 0/710

Tab Label (see title)

This work contains the following places; choose a place below to cross-refer to other works in the collection:

Similar works by place:

Brazil

View all

Brazilian Scene: A Sugar MillBrazilian Scene: A Sugar Mill

Oil on panel

c.1665

GAC 0/61

The Entrance of Rio JaneiroThe Entrance of Rio Janeiro

Oil on canvas

1845

GAC 2679

Brazilian Fort St. Gabriel on the Rio NegroBrazilian Fort St. Gabriel on the Rio Negro

Coloured lithograph

published 3 August 1840

GAC 7519

Engagement of Frigates "Java" & "Constitution" [Pl...Engagement of Frigates "Java" & "Constitution" [Pl...

Coloured engraving and aquatint

1 January 1814

GAC 9452

Tab Label (see title)
Tab Label (see title)

Frans Jansz Post

Frans Jansz Post was born in Haarlem; the son of Jan Post, a glass-stainer of some celebrity, who died while he was still young. In 1636 John Maurice of Nassau, who was appointed Governor General of Brazil, took Post with him as one of a group of painters, cartographers and navigators to the West Indies and South America. Post stayed there until the Count returned to Holland in 1644, when he settled in Haarlem. During his eight years in Brazil, Post made numerous drawings of the most interesting views. On his return to Holland he painted several large pictures from these sketches, including those for the palace of Ryksdorp, near Wassenaer. Post died in Haarlem, where he was buried on 16 February 1680.